Musée d'Orsay
The Musée d'Orsay was my favorite museum of the trip. It's housed in an old train station and it's filled with beautiful French impressionist art and sculptures. We attended this museum as part of our French culture/history/language class so we had special access to be there a half an hour before the museum opened and the atmosphere was so peaceful and I enjoyed being able to soak in the art sans crowds.
Centre George Pompidou
The Pompidou was another favorite for very different reasons, I found the modern art very refreshing and playful plus the building itself was unlike anything else in Paris.
Musée Rodin
I loved seeing works that I recognized like "The Thinker" and "The Kiss" at the Rodin. There's so much movement and expression in Rodin's sculptures! I really enjoyed the Rodin museum.
Musée de Cluny
Musée de Cluny- During the French revolution, the heads of the "Kings" were cut off on Notre Dame because they thought they were the kings of France, when they were actually the kings of Judea... These are the original heads from Notre Dame (bottom left pic).I also loved that the Cluny is housed in an old mansion owned by the Abbots(one t.. but still..).
The most famous exhibit at the Cluny is the 'Lady and the Unicorn' tapestry,but unfortunately it's in Tokyo until November.. but I'll take as many excuses as I can get to go back to Paris in the future ;)
Musée du Louvre
The louvre... 8 miles of halls and 35,000 works in the museum... Amazing yet so overwhelming! I was only there for a few hours and I got to see the foundation of the museum, the Mesopotamian exhibit, the Napoleon exhibit, The Mona Lisa, and that's about it..
Musée Carnavalet
The Carnavalet is the museum of Paris history. We made a quick visit during one of our walks through the city with Madame Claude, our French history/culture/language professor. It's an interesting museum with more focus on history than art, and best of all it's free to the public.
Musée de L'Orangerie
Musée de l'Orangerie is another awesome French impressionist art museum. l'Orangerie is most famous for being the permanent home for the 8 water lily murals by Claude Monet, the museum also contains works by Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Henri Rousseau, Alfred Sisley, Chaim Soutine, and Maurice Utrillo, among others. They didn't allow pictures inside.. but I really enjoyed the museum!
Musée des Arts Décoratifs
The decorative arts museum was interesting... it felt a little like a visit to Ikea, but it was charming in it's own way.







No comments:
Post a Comment