I was exhausted when I finally arrived in Chicago from not sleeping well the night before. I ended up ordering a personal sized deep dish pizza to my hotel from Lou Malnati's and somehow summoned the energy to go out and see the city- I'm so glad I did! I was able to see and do so much in my first afternoon in town.
{Hotel Loby}
My first stop was to see "the bean". I made a beeline to this mysterious sculpture that I had heard so much about (it wasn't there on my first visit to Chicago). I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the bean and how well it captured the skyline of the city.
Next I wandered the rest of Millennium Park and took in the beautiful gardens, sculptures, fountains with faces, and marveled at how all of this was in the middle of a big city.
From there, the beautiful Ocean Lake Michigan caught my eye so I made my way to the Lakefront Trail and then over to Navy Pier.
I fell in love with the view of the lake and the lively pier. I felt like I was in a dream as I made my way over to the giant ferris wheel. I took a seat and just let myself take it all in. It was nice to let the stress of everyday life melt away if even for a moment.
{I found Pongo's twin in the gargoyles at Navy Pier!}
Day 2 in Chicago was all business. I was at Microsoft Ignite from 8 AM until after 9 PM. I had an amazing day soaking in the experience of going to tech conference but I was dead dog tired by the end of the day. I passed on going out with the group and ordered room service and soaked my aching feet.
Day 3 was another full day at the event center but I was determined to see the city that night. I ended up eating dinner at Chick-Fil-A which may sound like a completely mundane thing to do.. except for the fact that this was the most lively Chick-Fil-A I had ever seen! It was located right next to the Chicago Theatre and they had live karaoke AT CHICK-FIL-A! I have never seen anything like it. I found myself thoroughly enjoying getting a taste of the Chicago local flare. I also had a seat by the window which allowed for amazing people watching.
After dinner (and a show) I began my quest to find one of the only places I could remember from my first visit to Chicago, The American Girl Place. My GPS decided to take me on the scenic route, but I didn't mind. I ended up discovering some other treasures along the way.
{Chicago Tribune- Left}
{Willy Wonka's candy factory aka Dylan's Candy Bar}
I loved all of the old mixed with new buildings in Chicago! The building that looks like a castle below was an old water tower it's located on the Magnificent Mile, and it's one of the rare survivors of the Chicago Fire.
Finally I made it to the other end of Michigan Ave and I felt like a kid again when I saw the American Girl logo! I'm not lying when I tell you this was one of the highlights of my trip. It somehow made me feel more connected to the city to find something I remembered from long ago.
After I fulfilled my quest, I went through the mall entrance next door and wandered around all the interesting shops there. My favorite by far was this Dr Seuss art gallery that I found, I only wish I had gotten there sooner so I had more time to look around before closing.
I really fell for Chicago that night. I loved just walking and going wherever the mood took me. It was a stop and smell the roses kind of night.
Day 4 was another full day of work and another night of room service, catching up on email, and HGTV.
Day 5 was the last day of the show and we were in full swing at our booth (#543 in case you were wondering :) ) I really enjoyed spending time out of the office with people from all different teams at my company. We got out a little early that day so after stopping for a few group photos and packing things up, I headed back out into the city with a few of my co-workers.
The first stop was to get better pictures of the Chicago Theatre.
Next we made our way over to the Sears Tower renamed Willis Tower for some bird's eye views of the city. I enjoyed the walk over to the tower because I got to see some areas of the city that I hadn't been to yet.
{By Sky & by Sea}
{Gargoyles!}
{I couldn't resist capturing this alleyway- we just don't have stuff like this in Utah}
When we finally arrived at the tower I didn't think it looked that tall to be honest. It wasn't until my ears were popping in the elevator as we rose 103 stories and I walked out to the observation deck and saw how dwarfed the other buildings were in comparison that I really appreciated the height of Willis Tower.
{I can now say that I stood out on a ledge on the tallest building in the western hemisphere}
By the time we were finished with the tower it was starting to get dark, I didn't mind though, I liked seeing the skyline light up before my eyes.
{Stopped by Union Station}
To end the night we headed over to Millennium Park to see the park and the Bean in all its lit up glory.
Day 6 was my final day in Chicago. I wrapped a few things up for work and decided to stop by the Art Institute of Chicago before I had to catch a cab to the airport. I'm so glad I found the time to go to the art museum! I felt transported back to my time in Paris and I loved seeing work from so many familiar artists!
{Georges Seurat's 'A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte'}
{Grant Wood's 'American Gothic'}
{Marc Chagall's 'America Windows'}
My final stop on my way back to my hotel to pick up my bags and catch a cab was the Chicago cultural center. From the street I had no idea what to expect, but once I got inside I was caught off guard by grand entrance, mosaic tile work, and gorgeous glass dome.
I had an amazing time in Chicago! It's definitely my kind of town. I won't let the fact that I got delayed for 4 hours in O'Hare on my way home take away from what a great trip it really was. I hope I get to visit again and take Marty with me. Until next time Chi Town!
















































No comments:
Post a Comment