Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pretty Pillow Makeover

This post has been almost a week in the making. On Tuesday, Marty and I went to Jo-Ann's to get some fabric so I could make new covers for the pillows on our couch. I've been thinking about doing this for quite a while and I did some hard core pinteresting to find the perfect inspiration for our pillows. When my sister was here 2 weeks ago she helped me decide on the color scheme of lime green, yellow, and navy blue. I have to say, I'm loving the way they turned out! This was my first sewing project without any help or mentors over my shoulder. I was a little nervous to begin with. I just inherited my Grandma B's vintage Kenmore sewing machine and I had no idea how to even get started. Luckily, I found some similar machines on youtube that helped me learn how to restore my old-school beauty back to full strength.

Here's how they turned out ↓

I love how cheerful they are :]

Bird pillow inspiration HERE. 

Bow pillow inspiration/ tutorial HERE.
I scaled down the bow for a 12" pillow. 

I made the stripes a little bit opposite to better incorporate the colors on both sides of the couch. 

Here's what the pillows looked like before ↑ My Gramma Carol made these and I loved them, but I was itching to add more color to the room! 

and here's the after! ↑ One of my next projects will be wall art above the couch.. 

My new favorite toy ↑ It was nice to feel like Grandma B was with me, I think she'd be proud.

In other news... Marty and I are officially a "married couple". Usually we put our shoes away right when we come home, but because of the snow we've been leaving them by the door to dry. 
I noticed the other day that for the past three errands we had gone on, we wore matching shoes.. haha Yay for marriage! and turning into each other! 

Thanks for reading :) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those pillows are awesome and I am amazed that you did that by yourself! I'm also pretty impressed that you restored your grandma's sewing machine. What a woman. I have to say, youtube is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete