Saturday, May 7, 2011

Gilgal Gardens

Salt Lake has a secret garden that we have now discovered...
To learn more Click HERE, or HERE.

↑ These are the sites we came across when we were searching for stuff to put on our bucket list. This is our first official summer bucket list item so far. I thought it looked too awesome to wait any longer to go. We found it by searching "weird stuff to do in Utah". I must say I'm glad we did. Gilgal is a public park wedged in between a hostess factory and a neighborhood (almost impossible to find if you're not looking for it). It was surprisingly peaceful and quiet once we entered inside, we felt separate from the busy word outside its gates. We went with our friends Maddie and Justin on this little adventure. Lucky for me, Maddie shares my passion for "weird" but cool stuff.

We packed up a picnic dinner and headed out on our quest to find Gilgal. 

After driving right past it, we found the gate on foot. 

Yes, that is Joseph Smith's face on a sphinx. 

The really cool thing about this park is that all the statues have hidden meanings. The sphinx seems really bizarre until you read this saying about "the seer" and "the sphinx", then you start to think about all the cool symbolism and wonder more about what it means. (by the way the last word that is cut off is "slept"). 

This is where we ate our picnic dinner. I ate fast because I couldn't wait to look around. 

This is a self portrait of the artist ↑
I'm a fan of his brick pants. 
If you are as curious about the artist as I am click on his name to learn more. 

Malachi 4:6 
"And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers.."
Like I said~ It makes no sense until you read more into his statues. 

This is the artist's wife Bertha ↑

Marty modeling the archway

Broken body...



Isaiah II

Archway and 4 standard works

Close up "alpha" and "omega" 


Joshua 4:5
"And Joshua said unto them, Pass over before the ark of the LORD your God into the midst of Jordan, and take ye up every man of you a stone upon his shoulder, according unto the number of the tribes of the children of Israel:"


Angel Moroni 

Oil lamp




I have too many to count ;)

Sphinx side view

This is carved onto the chest of the sphinx ↑

Pretty awesome little place. 

Thanks for joining us Hugies! 


Little did we know Gilgal is located across the street from Trolly Square! Who would have guessed that?

So we explored some more... 


Whole foods was amazing! 
Someday we will be rich enough to shop there.. and pottery barn. 

Overall pretty great night! :) 
We highly recommend discovering Gilgal Gardens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment