Friday, July 8, 2011

French Peasant Bread

I am trying to work on my baking skills as well as my cooking skills. Plus I wanted to make something special for Marty since he just finished a very long first week at his new job. (He's already a cement master ;) )  I found this recipe in a cookbook titled: Favorites, a collection of favorite Ivory Family recipes. If the rest of this cookbook is as good as the bread I made today, then Marty and I are sure in for a treat!

* I have never made bread by myself before today, so if I can do it, I know any one else can.


French Peasant Bread
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 Tablespoon  sugar
2 teaspoons salt 

4 cups flour

oil (cooking spray works fine)
Corn meal (for sprinkling) 
Melted butter (I used about 2 Tablespoons) 

  1. Place yeast, water, sugar, & salt in a warm bowl and stir until dissolved.
  2. Add flour and stir until blended. Do not knead. 
  3. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size ( mine took about 40 mins) 
  4. Flour hands, remove dough from the bowl and place in 2 rounds on an oiled ( greased) cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. 
  5. Let rise an additional hour (again I only waited 40 mins).
  6. Brush top with melted butter and bake at 425° for 10 mins.
  7. Reduce oven temp. to 375° and bake an additional 15 mins. ( depending on your oven, I took the bread out when it was a nice golden brown color) 
Best if served hot out of the oven :) 

This is what the dough should look like after step 2

Step 3- bonus if you have a cute dishrag to cover with

Step 4- I also sprinkled some cornmeal on top for added texture

All done! mmmm 

I served it with vegetable soup and grape juice. 

We loved it! & It was fairly easy to make, just make sure you have plenty of time to have it ready for your meal. 

bon appétit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment