Monday, December 12, 2011

Gingerbread Houses

I'm loving all the new traditions Marty and I have been starting this year! Each new season and holiday brings new things to be excited for. The winter holidays are with out a doubt the most fun. Friday, Marty and I went to the Dickens Festival and Saturday we had the Hugies over for dinner, gingerbread houses, and holiday movies. Gingerbread houses will forever have a special place in my heart because Marty and I made them on our second date, which lead to our first kiss (2 years ago yesterday :)).

I found the recipe for the "mortar" HERE. I highly recommend it, the icing held like glue! 

We had quite the variety of candy and decorations for our houses and I loved the way each one turned out completely unique. There is after all, no wrong way to make a gingerbread house. Marty made his with a base that had a stairs up to the front door. My house turned into a quaint little cabin. Maddie was a first-time gingerbread house maker and she went with a bold vaulted ceiling design. Finally, Justin's house turned out to be a 1960's California inspired house with a car port. 

Here's part of our candy spread and the table all set for dinner. I like to buy teddy grahams to live in the houses :]

 Decorating brought out our crafty side. 

After we were finished with our houses we ate the dessert that Maddie made: home-made ice cream sandwiches with peppermint ice cream (yum!). We ended the evening with the movie Christmas Vacation, a holiday classic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment