Since we got engaged one of the most commonly asked questions has been "how did you know?"
"how did you know he was the One?"
It's true what they say, you do just know.
Looking back on the past year with Marty I realize that it was the little things, the small moments that made me fall for him.
Our first date... his smile when he picked me up for our date was undeniably cute.
I learned that night that he was different from other guys I had dated in the past. Our date happened to be right in the middle of the big finals storm, I warned him but he didn't want to cancel. We ended up spending 4 1/2 hours in the library so I could finish a project. It was so late by the time we got out that the restaurant we were going to go to was closed. When we got in his car to go find somewhere to eat he pulled out a small stuffed penguin ( my favorite animal since I was three) and said he remembered me mention that I liked them. Yep, from the beginning I didn't stand a chance...
On our second date... Marty took me out to dinner at what is now "our restaurant" and then we went to the store and got stuff to make ginger bread houses.. so much fun :) ( I dominated hehe)
Our first Kiss... The kind of kiss where the whole world stops and butterflies and electrical storms pulse through your veins.
The day he asked me to be his girl friend... We were talking with our noses together when he asked:
"hey if people ask.... is it okay if I call you my girl?"
"yes... and if people ask, is it okay if I call you my boy?"
"No. I'm your man" :)
Christmas day... was the day he met my family, they saw instantly what I saw and he's been a part of my family ever since.
Snowshoeing through Jordan Pines... I was freezing cold and had snow down my pants but I couldn't stop smiling because I was with him. :]
Ice skating.... we had the whole rink to ourselves and when our song came on it felt like we were in a movie and we danced around the ice as he sang to me.. ♫
Holding hands.... I love holding his hand. We hold hands when we go on walks or run errands... and he squeezes my hand to tell me he loves me.
When I discovered we're both summer lovers... We met in the winter so when I found out we were both summer people I was super excited. To make the winter not seem so harsh I created "a day of summer". I love that Marty goes along with my silly ideas. ☼
Riding the grey hound bus... to save money we took a grey hound to St George over spring break. It was an adventure I will never forget.
Sitting on the beach of bear lake this summer... we went on a walk down the beach and ended up sitting in the sand and dreaming of eternity together.
When he proposed... happiest moment of my life. I remember the serious yet joyful look on his face... and the realization that this was finally happening. We're engaged!!! :D
Singing in the car... I think that's when I realized that he is my best friend. neither one of us sings well but we sure love it! we sing loud and proud!
When the phone rings... and I realize it's him an unstoppable smile spreads across my face and my butterflies remind me that they're still kicking.
Dancing in the morning... every time I have gone down and stayed the night at his parents house I always wake up to Marty singing and then he slow dances me awake, best cure for not being a morning person.
Notes and letters... I love all the things he writes to me. I keep them and read them when we're apart, even a simple "I love you" scribbled on a piece of paper is enough to make my day.
When he talks about the gospel... I love the passion and conviction he has with the gospel of Jesus Christ. He lights up from head to toe when he gets into discussions about spiritual things.
Oh goodness. I could go on forever. It's hard when we only get to be together on weekends, but we make the time we have together count. I fall in love again every time I see him...
Next time someone asks me how I knew, i'll just say it was all in the moments.
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment